Plants are a great way to enhance the beauty of our houses and gardens. Not only are they beautiful to look at but they also give you house or compound a great breath of fresh air. Bulb like plants are buried into the ground and the bulb enhance the survival of the plant in all conditions. Bulbs are easy to plant and can be planted in a pot or in your beautiful back yard. If you decide to beautify your garden with bulbs there are few tips on how to go about planting and caring for the bulbs for the best results.
Tips on how to plant and take care of bulbs
- Plant your flower bulb before the winter season when the ground is frozen since they will not grow as expected due to the very low temperatures.
- Use fertilizers like phosphorus based fertilizers that help in the growth of the roots and their development. You can use additional fertilizers if the bulbs will be in the garden for more than a year.
- Plant the flower bulbs between 4 to 8 inches deep into the ground. It is advisable to combine several flower bulbs in one bed since they make a beautiful combination when they bloom and are in different colors.
- Once you have planted the flower buds depending on the season you have planted them water them in moderation. Shallow watering is the best to avoid putting in too much water that may lead to the bulb rotting. If it is in winter you will not need to water the bulb if its in spring or summer begin watering when the small bulbs sprout out.
- You can stake the bulbs if you plant the kind of bulbs that need extra support
- Mulching is important in maintaining a consistent temperature as well as helping retain all the moisture especially if temperatures are too high.
- Once your flower bulbs have been on your flower beds for more than five years it is important to dig them up and replant them. This is because they may begin to get over crowded which rob them of their beauty giving a very bushy flower bed.
Gardening is not only for trained or expert gardeners you can actually begin gardening as a hobby. IF you decide to plant flower bulbs in your garden for their outstanding beauty the tips above are going to help you come up with the best garden ever.