Solar energy can simply be described as energy from the sun. It is received in form of electromagnetic radiation. It is very important in sustaining life on earth for plants, animals and even for man. If we did not have the sun that produces the solar energy, life on earth would cease. We receive about 35,000 more times energy than what we consume and produce combined. With the fast depleting energy resources from fossil energy and the environmentally hazardous nuclear energy, we should seriously look into a future where the whole world uses solar energy.
Advantages of using solar energy
- Infinite resource – Compared to other sources of energy, solar energy is not a resource that is getting depleted any time soon. Nuclear energy, oil and gasoline from fossils are resources which are getting depleted. Solar energy cannot be depleted so long as the earth and the sun are in existence.
- Free of charge - Other than the set up costs, solar energy is free .Once you buy and set up your solar panels, you do not have any more bills to pay. This makes it a better option compared to other energy sources.
- Environmentally friendly - When the Tsunami in Japan damaged the nuclear energy reactors there was great damage done to the environment. Further to this, the radiation released to the atmosphere will have long lasting negative effects to the residents of the areas affected. This is not the case with solar energy
- Dependency - Solar energy will reduce dependency on power companies that are monopolistic in nature. It feels like you been held at ransom by the companies. They make you pay through the nose for their expensive products
Disadvantages of using solar energy
- Expensive to set up - Though once you set up the solar energy you enjoy free energy, the cost of set up is viewed as prohibitive.
- Solar panels require a large area to set up. This may be a herculean task in our current crowded cities.
- There is no production during the night and factors like clouds and seasons will affect the production of solar energy.
Solar energy is by all means possible the energy source of the future due to its numerous advantages that greatly outweigh its disadvantages. The next time you face power shortages, you can consider this great energy source.
No related posts.